15th cent. Vellum. 25–27.5 x 18.5–20 cms (pp. 1–2, 26.5–27 x 8–10 cms; pp. 47–8, 23–27.5 x 14.5–20 cms). Pp. 58, paginated (earlier partial pagination in ink supplemented by modern pencil pagination) 1–58, with pp. –, ,  and  unnumbered. No scribal signatures. Scribes: (1) pp. 1–2; (2) pp. 3–20; (3) pp. 21a1–b6, 21b17–25, 22a1–13, 22a29–b32, 23b22–27a19, 27a23–b6, 27b13–30, 29b22–30a31, 30b1–31, 31a1–15, 31a25–32bz (p. 31a25–z extensively re-inked), 33b1–16, 34a19–35bz; also, apparently, p. 36a1–bz (extensively re-inked); (4) 21b7–16, 21b26–z, 22a13–28, 22b33–23b21, 27b38–29b21, 30a32–z, 30b32–z, 31a16–24, 33a1–z, 33b16–34a18; (5) pp. 27a19–22, 27b6–12, 27b30–38; (6) pp. 37a1–47b14; (7) pp. 43, lower margin, 46, lower margin, 47b15–49bz; (8) p. 49, lower margin, and apparently also p. 50 (largely illegible); (9) pp. 51a1–52a24, 52a27–b15, 52b18–28, 52b37–53b22, 53b36–55a38, 55az–57bz; (10) pp. 52a25–6; 52b16–18; 52b29–36; 55a38–z; and jotting (b) below; (11) pp. 53b23–36 (but perhaps variant of 9). Re-inking and some corrections to text in parts (a) and (d) (see below) evidently supplied in contemporary hand other than that of scribes of texts.
Housed in modern conservation box labelled `TCD / MS / 1334' on spine and stamped `TCD ms 1334' on inside of closing flap. Bound in full calf with gold tooling on covers and on spine. Two endpapers front and back, and two binders leaves between pp. 50 and 51. Remnant of paper label bearing former ms number affixed to lower spine. `Olim H. 51.', `H.3.15' and `(1334)' (in pencil) on pastedown inside front cover. Conservation note on recto of first binder's leaf: `f. 49v. [`[p. 50]', above line] cleaned carefully / Lib. Conservation Lab / February 1982 A[nthony] C[ains]' (in pencil).
Volume comprises four parts: (a) a six (pp. 1–12), foll. by a four (pp. 13–20); textual sequence, however, shows order of leaves in pp. 3–20 to be as follows: 3–6, 13–20, 7–12; this suggests an original ten, the two central bifolia (pp. 13–20) of which are now misplaced belonging between pp. 6 and 7; (b) pp. 21–36, an eight; (c) pp. 37–50, an eight (wants 8; stub visible foll. p. 50); (d) pp. 51–8, a six (?) (wants 3 and 6; stubs visible after pp. 54 and 58, respectively). Ruling and pricking: (a) p. 1, irregular arrangement of text (see below); p. 2, single column, ruling indistinct, 44 lines; pp. 3–20, single column, ruled in dry point, with double inner and outer bounding lines (triple inner bounding line, p. 6, inner margin), 33–35 lines; prick marks for double outer and inner bounding lines visible in upper and lower margins towards leaf-edge; pricking for horizontal text-lines visible in all leaves, in outer margins near leaf-edge and in inner margins at spine; (b) double columns with single inner and double outer bounding lines, ruled in brown, 36–44 lines; prick marks for double columns with single inner and outer bounding lines visible in upper and lower margins near leaf-edge; pricking for top and bottom lines visible in outer margin at or near leaf-edge; (c) pp. 37–49, double columns with single inner and double outer bounding lines, ruled in dry point (and in brown?), 37–9 lines (ruling grid distinct, p. 44); p. 50, single column, ruling indistinct, 43 (?) lines; traces of prick marks for double columns with single inner and double outer bounding lines visible in lower margins of most leaves near leaf edge and in upper margins of pp. 47–8 at leaf edge (pricking of upper margins apparently lost in remaining leaves through cropping); pricking for horizontal text-lines visible in all leaves, in inner margins near spine and in outer margins at text-edge; (d) pp. 51–7, double columns with single inner and double outer bounding lines, ruled in dry point and in brown, 43–9 lines (grid distinct, p. 54); p. 58 blank. Vellum defective in pp. 7–10, 13–20, 25–6, 41–2; distinctive defects in bifolium pp. 13/14 and 19/20, corresponding in position, shape and size in each leaf, tinged in green; slight hole, pp. 3–4 with slight damage to text; hole in pp. 15–16 with slight loss of text. Ornamentation: (a) Latin chapter-incipits, in whole or in part, in display script, also opening words of some sub-sections of text; calligraphic initials in incipits at pp. 8.19, 13.26 and occasionally within text (e.g. pp. 7.5, 8.6, 9.9); incipits (except at p. 3.1) and also words in display script, initials in text, capital letters, ceann fo eite, line-fillers and occasional other words or letters frequently coloured ochre, sometimes touched over in silver now oxisdised; occasional offset from initials of facing pages (e.g. p. 4, inner margin; p. 6, inner margin from originally facing p. 13). (b) First two lines of herbal, thereafter first line of each article, in display script (only first word(s), however, of `Auena' (p. 33a21) and `Aurum' (p. 33a30); also of `Anetum' (p. 29by) `Borax' (p. 35a19), and `Butirum' (p. 36a27), each of which begins, without intervening space, immediately foll. previous article). Elaborately decorated major initials (A, 4-line; B and C, 3-line) in first article of each letter of herbal; guide-letters written in margins and spaces (sometimes remarkably narrow) reserved for decorated opening initials (3- to 1-line) in most articles in section A but initials not filled in; guide-letters sometimes small (e.g. p. 22a38, 31b19) but more often of similar size to 1-line initials, with guides sometimes distinguishable only by context from initials placed outside text frame (cf. e.g. guides, pp. 21b12, 23b25, 24a9, 25a4; initials, pp. 21b1, 24b20); guide-letters written in margin but no space reserved for initials, p. 33a1, 11; guide-letter at p. 23b10 neatly written into loop of ligatured IT in preceding line; guide-letters and reserved spaces at p. 25b9, 41 rendered otiose by repetition of letter in article-incipit (similarly with guide-letter (obscured by binding) without reserved space, p. 33a21); initials in text generally plain but sometimes with simple calligraphic flourish (e.g. pp. 23b9, 34b27). Text richly rubricated, particularly in second half of gathering. Initials, guide-letters, article-incipits (except `Auena', p. 33a21), also capital letters, ceann fo eite and line-fillers generally coloured in red of various hues (regularly alternated or combined with various greens from p. 32b9 onwards); heading in upper margin of p. 21 coloured red, also text below column, p. 36az; final letter(s) of final line in column sometimes coloured red (e.g. pp. 24bz, 29az, 31az, 33bz), occasionally green (e.g. 33az); occasional other letters or words in text, particularly at line-end, coloured red (e.g. 24a7, 27b12, 29b5, 9, 27, 30a12, 31b8, 35a6–9) or green (e.g. p. 33bw, 34a18, 37, 35a29); bottom-line descenders sometimes exaggerated and decorated with calligraphic flourish or rubricated (e.g. pp. 23bz, 24az, 27bz); slightly exaggerated top-line ascenders in columns on p. 24; borders enclosing text of final line continued below column coloured red (p. 25bz), green (p. 32bz) or red and green (pp. 35bz, 36az); occasional offset of red from facing page (e.g. p. 30a31); red frequently touched over with silver now oxidised. (c) First word of opening lemma in each alphabetical group of synonyms (pp. 37–44b21) in display script (except at p. 37b5), also first line and first word of incipits at pp. 45b14 and 47b15 respectively; guide-letters written in margin and spaces reserved for decorative initials at pp. 47b15 (1-line) and 49a10 (3-line) but initials not filled in. Line-fillers occasionally in bright red (e.g. pp. 37b3, 39a28, 42a15, 23), also frame enclosing textual addition in p. 39b outer margin, and `Finid', pp. 47b14 and 49b13. Initials, text in display script, capital letters, ceann fo eite and line-fillers generally coloured bright red, also first word of incipit p. 44b22, and occasional other words or letters in text. No further rubrication in this gathering after p. 47b14. Frequent offset of rubrication from facing page (e.g. outer margins of pp. 38 and 43). (d) First line of incipits (and of chapter beg. 56a27) in display script, also opening word of chapter beg. p. 56b19 and of some sub-sections of text. Decorative opening intials, outside the written space, pp. 51a1, 54a1; secondary initial at p. 56a27 and initial in text at p. 51b37 slightly ornamented, otherwise initials plain or with slight flourish. Text continued below column, pp. 53az and 56bz (and boxed, p. 51az); text of p. 53bz continued in single col. across lower margin of p. 53, boxed. Rubrication of headings in upper margins of pp. 51 and 54, also of box framing text below column, pp. 51az and 53, lower margin, and of tie marks linking lines in table of urine colours, p. 57a29–z. Initials, text in display script, capital letters, ceann fo eite and line-fillers generally coloured red, also Latin citations at pp. 52b32 and 55b11, closing words of text in lower margin of p. 53, items in list at p. 54a34–6, closing signs at p. 57a28, z, and jotting (b) below; occasional random letters in text coloured red (in particular exaggerated letters in line-end position, e.g. `h' (pp. 51a13, 53bw, 54a32), `r' (pp. 54a39, 55a24), or `n' (p. 55b6); also first and/or last letter(s) in top line (e.g. pp. 53a1, 54b1, 56a1) or bottom line (e.g. pp. 52bz, 56az)). Initials and other rubricated text sometimes touched over with silver now oxidised. Textual omissions or corrections in outer margins of pp. 6, 23 and 39 and in inner margins of pp. 10 (text to be read foll. p. 10.13), 13 (text to be beg. p. 13.15) and 53; re-inking of occasional words in (c) and (d) (e.g. pp. 31b17) and of much of the foll.: pp. 31a25–z, 36a1–bz. Outer half of pp. 1–2 cut away with major loss of text on both recto and verso; square (4 x 4 cms) cut from upper outer corner of pp. 57–8 with no loss of text.
Notes and jottings. (a) 37, lower margin, inverted. Two lines, illegible. (b) 55, lower margin below col. a. `Liter cleirigh deireagh in rema 7rl–.' Jotting (b) scribal. Crosses (in later hand?) in outer margin facing text of pp. 4.19 and 12.w.
1. List of urine colours arranged in two facing columns ([i]–[ii]) linked by tie marks; colours grouped according to significations indicated in captions (largely illegible). Beg. [i] Albus [ii] mar uisci (glan) / [i] Lacteus [ii] (mar) medg [= p. 57a30 of this ms]. Breaks off with niger [= p. 57az of this ms]. Most of column [ii] lost because of mutilation of leaf; parts of surviving text illegible.
1m. Schema of the faculties (largely illegible). First legible words, reading from left to right: na craebh / (oilem)nach / (an) brig attairrngt(ec). Apparently a fragmentary copy of text occurring in BL Eg. 92, f. 5v.
1i. [Isidore, commentary on aphorisms of John of Damascus, aphorism.] Beg. (p. 1.9 ad fin.) Mut(acio) con(sue)tudinis insanis 7 egris. Breaks off ac doni nisi mo na sin dona dainib (p. 1.8 ad fin); corresponds to ms 1313, f. 3r4–6.
1i. [Regimen sanitatis Salernitanum, aphorism.] Uer estas d(...) (autum)pnus hyemsque si(...)as (.i.) mad(...). Apparently a fragmentary copy of text occurring in NLI G 453, f. 65r25-7. Cf. H. Walther, Lateinische Sprichw\"orter und Sentenzen des Mittelalters (G\"ottingen 1963–7) no. 33028.
1i. Two aphorisms (Latin only). (a) (S)i minuas (...)s ut longo tempore uiuas. (b) Distrahit euacua(t) preseruat aleuiatque / ... si bene fiat (p. 1.5 ad fin); corresponds to Séamus Ó Ceithearnaigh (ed.), Regimen na sláinte III (Baile Átha Cliath 1944), ll. 9608–9.
1i. Excerpt. Omnis consuetudo que longo tempore habet (?) ( ...) / 7 egritudinis .i. bidh a fis agad gach uile (...) / mad olc madh maith e. Da derbad sin ader Y(...) / gurob (...) angach.
2. [John of Gaddesden, Rosa Anglica, abridged excerpt.] Acephalous. Beg. here [in ch. beg. Cancer est morbus melancholicus Rosa Anglica (Pavia 1492), bk 3, tr. 5, ch. 4, f. 161rb25] duib doni att maille cruas [= Gaddesden, Rosa Anglica, f. 161rb26]; text of p. 2.1 continues without break: 7 ataid .3. comurthai aderdealaiges etura 7 an crecht [= Gaddesden, Rosa Anglica, f. 161rb52]. Ends gidedh aderar lupus arrsaidh leith astigh do bliadhain / (...) rdaigter a leidhis (p. 2.18) [= Gaddesden, Rosa Anglica, f. 162r26]. Corresponds approximately to ms 1321 here, pp. 66b12–13, 37–56, 62–3 (?), 67b35–42, 68a32–44.
2.19. On hernia. Excerpt. Acephalous. Beg. here lenus dolamuib na ndainedh bhis aglacadh aneisg 7 pic gregach ...; Regimen heirnia na ninned noch adeir (p. 2.32). Ends 7 eabur mochtrath 7 re loidhe 7 loidhedh faen (p. 2.40).
2.41. Recipe for eye treatment. Acephalous. Beg. here tri rainn daloe 7 rann do mastix. Ends 7 do reir tuicsina ní fuil [ní above line] as follane dona suilibh na so (p. 2.z).
3. [Commentary on Geraldus de Solo, Practica super nono Almansoris, chs –, abridged.] Headed (with word-spacing gradually extended): `Innomine Patris 7 Filii 7 Spiritus Sancti Amen'. Beg. Sex sunt nomina quorum quolibet seignificcat dolorem capitis etcetra amail adeir Almusor cofuilet sé hanmanda argallruibh ancinn [= NLI ms G 11, p. 103a1]. Breaks off with p. 12 Ordaigid Auicenna inturcosc so anaigid natri tedmann so .i. sdupur [= G 11, p. 124a16]. For order of leaves see above.
21. Herbal (a. 1415) of Tadhg Ó Cuinn (fl. 1400–15). Headed `Inomine Patris 7 Fili 7 Spiritus Sancti Amen'. Beg. Aron barba iarus pes uituili adhon .3. hanmanda an gheadhair [= ms 1343, p. 47a1]. Articles of letter B beg. p. 33b10 (on Balanon glans); articles of letter C beg. p. 36a36 (on Calimentum). 70 articles (69 complete, 1 incomplete: A 49, B 18, C 3) arranged alphabetically. Breaks off (p. 36) in article on Cameactis with Item gab frema na luibeso 7 amberbad aruisci [= ms 1343, p. 65ay].
37. Synonyms alphabetically arranged, with terms in Latin, Irish, French, and English [beg. Hic incipiunt nomina herbarum cum qualitatibus earundem et quarundum etciam aliarum rerum cum eorum interpetacionibus in Gaillco pro parti 7 Latino 7 Ainglico pro alia parte Oxford, Corpus Christi College ms 129, f. 21v; listed TK col. 620]. Acephalous. Beg. here in letter O Omentum zirbus scribtur gac ní dibso arso(n) sifac. Lemmata in P beg. Pistaccee festuca idem, p. 37b5; Q beg. Quinque linea quinque neruia lanciolata [po cancelled] plantago minor idem, p. 39a22; R beg. Rosa atait .2. gne air, p. 39a29; S beg. Sulfur uiuum [taloporum corrected from talporum] vel tibarium idem, p. 40a3; T beg. Tartarum fex uine petra uini idem, p. 42a15; U beg. Uirga pastoris luib hi is cosmail re cardafollonum, p. 42bz; X, beg. Xilos Grece lighnum Latine .i. maide, p. 44a10; Y beg. Ypercon fugo demonum, p. 44a17; Z beg. Zima fermentum idem, p. 44b9. Ends Zizania lolium 7 nihinann iat 7 nahanmanna renabur gita 7 nigella. 7 doreir Symoin Ianuensis ahuduras Dyascorides nihinann git 7 nigella `FINITT' (p. 44b21). Corresponds to Corpus Christi College 129, ff. 30v14–38r18. Irish text has same incipit as that of Latin glossary found in BL ms Add. 15,236, ff. 172v–187v, but texts correspond only loosely, entries in Irish text being more numerous, and usually more detailed, than those in Latin text. Cf. Tony Hunt, `The botanical glossaries in ms London, B. L. Add. 15236', Pluteus 4 (1986) 101–150; idem, Plant names of medieval England (London 1989) xix–xx § 3.
39 (lower margin). Plant description. Eruiue .i. luibh bhís a coiss farrge 7 iscosmail afas refas antslanlosa 7 iscosmail asil resil anlusa cedna.
43 (lower margin). Recipe. Beg. Is amail so doniter siroip acsetosau .i. cuid dfinegra 2 cuid domil. Ends aca fuil dunad isin tseilg no isnahaoib no isnahinnib.
44b22. On wounds. Excerpt. Beg. Comhurtadha 7 taiscelta crectnaighti namball in(m)edonach oir antan crectnaidter angaile tic anchilus amac. Ends secainter gachní da médeocha ansiled 7 anmorgad 7 an fiabrus 7 isaithnid donliaigh fein naneithe so `F//I//N//I//D//' (p. 45b13).
45b14. On mania. Excerpt. Beg. Riaghail andso aleighus mainia 7 melangcolia .i. nachdlegar aonleges rannaidhi do chur risin cenn dambia ancorp linta. Ends Et dlegur fin glan seim inambia borraitse ana comhnaigi dol annsa chas so curognathach seoch gach uile ní dorer na neolach `//F//I//N//I//D' (p. 47b14). Corresponds to BL ms Harl. 546, ff. 15v7–16v6.
46 (lower margin, col. a). Excerpt. Beg. Adeir Gailen cu foguilter an pratic an 2 moduibh .i. acoimed na slainti 7 a leges na eslainti. Ends 7 in lucht ata accerge a heslaintibh (p. 46a, lower margin, col. a, l. 6).
46 (lower margin, col. a, l. 6). Glossary. Beg. .A. asumet .i. gebaid .b. beningus .i. bennuicche .c. .i. corp. Ends .Y. ysciros .i. gradmur .Z. zelotes .i. ainm Crist (p. 46, lower margin, col. b, l. 5).
46 (lower margin, col. b, l. 5). On place of articulation of vowels. Annsan ucht fograiges .a. a cinn na braigid fograiges .e. itir na fiachlaib dogabhur .o. don leth tuas don braigid .i. iter na meillib fograigus .u.
46 (lower margin, col. b, l. 7). On dosage (substance unspecified). Asi dosis iscoir do [liccin (?)] dfer fola derge .2.2. 7 .2. culeth dfer lenna finn trian .2. dfer lenna ruaid 7 .2.\ dfer lenna dubh.
46 (lower margin, col. b, l. z). Anti itus biadh ara mbi ita lochadh ted a serpigo no a nempitigo.
47b15. Medical glossary. Beg. [A]curus adon soilasdair / Angnus castus .i. mes torc. Ends Anabulla spurda .i. in gerradh neimi / Malua uisgus .i. hocus mor (p. 49a9). Ed. W. Stokes Archiv f\"ur celtische Lexicographie 1 (1899) 325–30 from this ms.
49a10. Medical glossary. Beg. [A]rnaglosa plantago linga arities .i. ancruach Padraig. Breaks off with p. 49 Cicea .i. noinin / Camafetress cercula maior. Ed. W. Stokes Archiv f\"ur celtische Lexicographie 1 (1899) 330–32 from this ms.
49, lower margin. A bhean doni an gocolladh. 4 qq.
49, lower margin, line z. A mic Muire min gili. 1q.
50. Largely illegible. Verse, apparently.
51. Tract on urine. Headed `Inomine Patris 7 Fili 7 Spirutus Sancti Amen'. Introduction beg. Derridus Egeidius 7 Isacc 7 Gillaburtinus arnatarraing cocumair asna leabhribh fuail isferr fuair sa doman toir 7 abhfus. Text beg. Labrum ar dus don cubur citerínus osé fen dath as uaisle dona dathibh (p. 51a6). Ends 7 daroib se glan neamhdilegta signigid dasachta menman(m)an (p. 52b23). Marginal entry `Finit' (p. 51, outer margin) in non-scribal hand facing text of p. 51b37; no apparent break in text at this point, however.
52b24. Tract on urine. Introduction beg. Labrum annso cocumair tarbach dorer Isag annsa leabur darubainm Disitur urina 7 ahuduras Bernaird Gorrdoni annsa leabur darubainm Oimnis proligsitas 7 cetera 7 a hughduras Teofilius. Text beg. Labrum ar dus do cercaill an fuail. Da mbia an cercaill remur maille re dath dubh signigid sin tinnes cinn. Ends Item da mbeth cuirp sgailti ar fud an fuail [signigid repeated] sin disgailed ancuirp cohuilide 7 an treas deitica 7rl– 7r– `F//I//N//I//T// s.eallad/sellad' (p. 53, lower margin, l. z). Marginal entry `Finis' (p. 53, inner margin) in non-scribal hand facing text of p. 53a26; no apparent break in text at this point, however.
54. Tract on urine. Headed `Inomine Patris 7 Fili 7 Spirutus Sancti Amen'. Beg. Tria sunt in urina adhon atait tri neththi is egin don liaig dfecain doleth anfuail .i. substaint 7 dat 7 conten(ta). Foll. chapters beg. (a) Triplex est disdingcia colorum adhon atait .3. deifreacha ar dathaibh an fhuail (p. 56a27); (b) Quatur sunt deferrinncia urina .i. atait .4. deichfreacha substaintacha acan fual (p. 56b19). Ends 7 nemh cumachta na brige leanamhnaighi nach fédann na leanna do cumasg 7rl– (p. 57a28).
57a29. List of twenty urine colours, arranged in six groups, according to signification (groups ,  and  without signification); tie marks link items in each group. Prologue: Ised is fual ann an tuisce gabus datugad cuige isna haeibh o fuil deirg. Text beg. [group 1] Albus maruisge glan. / Lactea mar meadhg signigid sin nemh dilegad. / Glauca mar tsholus adairce. Ends [group 6] Uiridis mar dath sdupoigi / Libida mar dath luaighe signigid sin bás / Nigra mar dath an fhiaich 7rl– (p. 57az). Foll. by (p. 57bi) six captions (in later hand) comprising significations, each caption linked by braces or lines to group in previous list. Beg. [caption 1]: Singnaighe so nemhdilegadh (p. 57bi); ends [caption 6]: Singnaigidh so bas (p. 57bi)
57b. Headed in upper margin `Ih–c'. Otherwise blank except for captions in later hand described in previous entry. P. 58. Blank.
Aoibheann Nic Dhonnchadha